After my earlier post saying I’d swum in more places than ever this summer, I started to think where exactly? So, after a bit of head scratching, here is a list of all the places I have dipped or swum this summer (with photos) – or at least, all the ones I can remember….
1. Stainforth Foss – multiple times
2. Eel Pool, Stainforth (often in combination with the Foss) – More than anywhere else because it is just fab!!
3.West coast of Scotland near Arisaig – several locations over the course of a fortnight’s holiday.
4. Cotter Force, Wensleydale – 3 or 4 visits
5. “near” Cotter Force….! – Just once, but special!
6. Mossdale viaduct (near Thwaites Bridge, Upper Wensleydale) – once and, surprisingly looking at the pool, not really deep enough. Bigger waterfall further up the gill apparently.
7. Stonesdale Beck, Tan Hill rd – Once.
8. Currack Force, Keld – Once.
9. Wain Wath Falls, Keld – Several times, a favourite “drive by” swim.
10. Kisdon Force, Keld – twice (I think)
11. “near” Ribblehead – multiple times to a secret, special location.
12. Janet’s Foss, near Malham – several times so far – cold, clear, near to home…. and gorgeous!
13. Pen Y Ghent Gill – Just once but need/want to go back when more flow.
14. Cray Gill, Upper Wharfedale – Just once but again, needs another visit or two.
15. Hell Gill & Hell Gill Force, near Garsdale Head – Once with Johnny Hartnell, great fun and will definately do it again.
16. Devil’s Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale – Once on a baking hot day when the water was over 20 degrees C, busy…
17. Killington Bridge, near Sedbergh – Just the once but must return.
18. Grass Woods, Grassington – several visits.
19. River Wharfe at Burnsall – one gorgeous night swim.
20. Catrigg Foss, Stainforth – Once in quite “frisky” conditions.
21. River Ure, Hawes – One very hot July day. A bit public but SO welcome.
22. Above Gordale Scar, Malham – just once…. in the rain… cold, not very deep… why did I even bother!!?
23. Lumb Falls, Hebden Bridge – Just once to see what it was like… VERY pretty.
24. Cowside Beck, Arncliffe – Once. Spotted a likely venue from the road so went back following day to investigate. Not deep but very handy and really pretty.
25. Malham Beck/Aire head/Gordale Beck – Couple of times to escape the mad throngs in the village at Bank Holidays!